Yes, that's what I've been doing since the Walk-A-Thon. Waddling. Lurching like a drunk sailor. Limping like I just had knee surgery. Swinging one leg out and forwards then the other leg, and so on. Slowly. Methodically. I know I look hilarious when I walk. The more I walk, though, the better it gets, and the happier I am. :) I also have a very painful sunburn on my left ear, and on the very edge of my hair on my forehead. I had to warn my hairdresser this morning to use caution with the tender skin. Otherwise, I'm burn-free!
As you have probably heard, I rather dramatically almost passed out from heat exhaustion at the walkathon on Saturday, turns out I could have permanently damaged myself. The symptoms I experienced:
- felt faint and dizzy
- sweated a LOT
- fast, weak heartbeat (120 about 20 minutes after I stopped walking. Ouch.)
- cool, clammy, pale skin
- headache
- tired
According to the Mayo Clinic's Heat Exhaustion article, signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion often begin suddenly, sometimes after excessive exercise, heavy perspiration and inadequate fluid intake. Exactly what I was doing, lol. If I had prepared for it and worked up to my goal of 20 miles, I might have been able to do better. I ended up going only 14.25 miles. :( I wanted to finish it so bad, but I was really bushed after being treated by Mrs. Gina. BTW, she did exactly what you're supposed to do for a person suffering from heat exhaustion! Wow. I felt like an invalid. Turns out, I would have passed out sooner or later. Thankfully, I realized that I was dizzy and stopped. Everyone had been telling me for the past 30 minutes how horrible I looked, pale and all, and I was like, yeah right, it's just sunscreen, guys! I was wrong. Oh well. I've learned a few lessons about how weak the human body is when pushed too far. ;)



















3 comments:
Takeyour pain and multiply it 100 times and you probably get how Damaris feels most of the time.
Yup. That's what its all for! :)
iwaddle. funny steph!
poor damaris, I hope she enjoys her trip.
Post a Comment